Free to learn is an independent learning community for self-directed learners K-12, open 9am-4pm 5 days a week.* Our kids love learning, because they design their own education and they’re set up to thrive.
– Homework battles?
– Your child struggles to focus?
– Feeling like education isn’t actually educating?
– Worried your child won’t be prepared for the future?
– Your child’s love for learning has become extinguished?
– If any of this rings true, your child is failing to thrive.
Don’t let your child waste the best years of their life!
Do you dream your child becomes independent, motivated, passionate and creative? Do you hope they can help create a better world?
– Independence: we provide space to practice self-direction.
– Motivation: we support them as they pursue their interests.
– Passion: we aid them as they explore what they love.
– Creativity: we assist them as they design their education.
– Creating a better world: we help them get started now.
As an agile learning community explosive learning is activated by harnessing powerful tools for self-organization and intentional culture creation, allowing our students to deeply engage with the world through their passions and strengths.
Our learning environment embraces choice & freedom along with collaboration between students, facilitators, and the local community. The structure of our program allows for students, facilitators, and parents to have a voice and take an active role in building the community they want.
Want to cut to the chase?
Read our FAQ page to better understand the distinctions that define Free To Learn.
Our wings grow from trust in: students, each other, ourselves and you. The four guiding principles that help us take flight are as follows:
1. Learning: Learning is natural. It’s happening all the time.
2. Self-Direction: People learn best when they make their own decisions. Children are people.
3. Experience: People learn more from their culture and environment than from the material they are taught.
4. Development: Personal development soars, by continually cycling through intention, creation, reflection, and sharing.
What do you want to accomplish today?
In an Agile Learning Community, we discern and articulate what we want to do, individually and as a group.
What are you going to do about it?
Agile Learners spend their days exploring and inventing – once we know what we want, we create it.
What did you learn from your choices?
Looking back, we develop awareness of what worked and what didn’t, so we can move forward more powerfully.
How can you share it with the world?
We document our work to record, exhibit, and share our experience with others.
We prepare young people for the world they are growing up into by empowering them to actively create it.
We use leading edge tools and culture creation practices to provide students with the maximal support with minimal interference.
We are active collaborators in the ALC Network. We aren’t in this game alone! Check out the growing network of ALCs.